Apply online to a graduate program and view admission criteria and application requirements.
Ready to apply to our graduate studies program?
The following criteria are applied when admitting graduate students:
- Evidence of a new birth in Jesus Christ.
- Willingness to abide by the conduct expectations as outlined in the "Declaration of Christian Community."
- Likelihood of academic success at Northwestern.
- Bachelor's degree earned from a regionally, nationally, professionally, or specialized accredited institution (recognized by the U.S. Department of Education).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) from all earned Bachelor's degrees and previously taken graduate coursework. If GPA is below 3.0, an Academic Performance Essay will be required.
- Submission of application and two required essays.
- Submission of all official transcripts from postsecondary institutions at which a Bachelor’s degree was earned and graduate coursework was previously taken.
- Submission of two academic/professional reference contacts.
- Submission of a current resume (MBA, MOL, Leadership Certificate, and Data Analytics Certificate applicants only).
- Ability to demonstrate English language proficiency (see below for requirements).
- All application materials will be reviewed by an Admissions Committee, and the applicant may be contacted for an interview.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 80 on the web-based TOEFL. Applicants may also complete the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.5 or a minimum score of 58 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE). The TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement may be waived for students who are from a recognized English-speaking country, or for those who have successfully completed an English writing course with a grade of “C-” or better and have earned a minimum of 12 credits from an accredited U.S. college/university.
Northwestern is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant graduate students. In addition to the regular graduate admission criteria, special admission procedures are necessary for students who are not U.S. citizens. Evidence of sufficient financial resources must be presented prior to admission, which must occur before student visa arrangements can be made.
Certain programs may have additional admission requirements, stipulations, or restrictions. Exceptions to admission criteria may be made by the Dean of GOAL in consultation with Admissions.
Your application will be considered complete when Northwestern has received the following:
- Application submitted
- Application fee of $50 (check or money order payable to University of Northwestern)
We will waive your $50 application fee if you attend an Information Session or schedule a personal or phone appointment with an admission counselor.
- Your application must include a 500-word essay that tells us about your daily walk with Christ and describes your personal and professional goals.
- Write an essay that analyzes a relevant issue that you find compelling in your chosen field of study. Incorporate research and utilize appropriate citation to support your perspective and to demonstrate your ability to write at a graduate level (maximum of 1,200 words, typed, double-spaced, and 11 or 12-point font). You may utilize previous academic writing as long as it fits the criteria for this essay. Your essay will be evaluated for content and academic quality.
- Send your essays by mail, fax, or email and include your name and email in the header of the essay document
- Request official transcripts be sent to us from Bachelor's degree and graduate coursework institution(s)
- Demonstration of English Proficiency (for those students whose native language is not English)
Completed items listed above should be mailed or faxed to:
University of Northwestern – St. Paul
3003 Snelling Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55113-1598
When will I be notified of my acceptance status?
Once your file is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee, you will be notified of your admission status within 1–2 weeks. Contact your admission counselor if you have any questions about the application process. Additional essays, references, or interviews may be requested.
Want to earn a Master of Arts in Theological Studies degree?
Check out our partnership with Wooddale Church to see if you qualify for a discount.
Applying for financial aid?
We have financial aid in the form of student loans. Follow these steps to apply for financial aid.
Toll Free: 888-362-8715