Transfer Students

We’re happy you’re considering Northwestern to continue your education. Our transfer students make up 20 percent of our total student body. We’re committed to making your transition as smooth as possible. Your transfer admission counselor is dedicated to working directly with you.


UNW isn’t UNW without student life. Get the ultimate glimpse of what it’s like to be an Eagle!

Applying as a Transfer Student

If you have earned college credit after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student.

Undergraduate transfer students are those pursuing traditional (day-school) degrees.

Applying as an Undergraduate Transfer Student

  1. Complete an Application for Admission.
  2. Request delivery of the following documents:
    1. Official and final High School Transcript*
    2. Official College Transcripts*
    3. Optional: ACT, SAT, and/or CLT Test Scores (Codes: ACT 2138 or SAT 6489)

NOTE – Undergraduate applicants who have previously completed a bachelor’s degree will be requested to provide official collegiate transcripts prior to admittance; high school transcripts and ACT/SAT/CLT test scores will not be required for admittance.

*When requesting delivery of official transcripts, please request that your institution mail your materials to the following address, or email them to [email protected].

Admissions Office
3003 Snelling Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55113

Application Deadlines

  • Fall 2024 Term – Application Deadline August 1, 2023

Transfer Credits

A transfer credit evaluation may be requested to determine how your credits will apply to your desired major at Northwestern. Northwestern accepts coursework with grades of C- or higher from accredited and some non-accredited institutions. Classes are evaluated for transfer on a course-by-course basis.

For a bachelor’s degree or an associate degree, a minimum of 30 credits must be completed at Northwestern. Additionally, a minimum of 50 percent of major and minor coursework must be completed at Northwestern. Finally, students must have completed a minimum number of credits at Northwestern to be eligible for undergraduate graduation honors (30-59 credits for “with distinction” honors and minimum of 60 credits for Latin honors; see the catalog for more information).

All courses must be college-level to fulfill traditional undergraduate core curriculum requirements. Remedial coursework will not fulfill degree requirements. Please see course catalog or contact the transfer counselor for details.

NOTE – Please note that the transfer credit evaluation option is not offered for potential nursing students. A transfer credit evaluation will be automatically completed and sent upon admittance to the university and receipt of all collegiate transcripts.

Bachelor of Arts in Music Articulation Agreement

Anoka-Ramsey Community College and the University of Northwestern – St. Paul have established an agreement to facilitate credit transfer and provide a smooth transition from Associate in Fine Arts: Music (Anoka-Ramsey Community College) to Bachelor of Arts in Music (University of Northwestern – St. Paul).

Academic Minimums

Prospective transfer students may be admitted with a minimum collegiate GPA of 2.50. Prospective post-baccalaureate students may be admitted with a minimum collegiate GPA of 2.75. A limited number of students with below-standard academic credentials may be transitionally admitted upon an additional review process.

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is based upon the number of transferable credits and credits by examination earned before matriculation.

Transferable Credits Class Standing
1-29 Freshman
30-59 Sophomore
60-89 Junior
90+ Senior