Five16 Film Festival
Over 1300 attended the 2016 Five16 Film Festival!
On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 7 p.m., the red carpet, paparazzi and popcorn returned to Maranatha Hall as Northwestern hosted the 10th annual Five16 Film Festival, a free event showcasing the films of students in the electronic media communication program.
What originally started as a small film festival has grown into a community-wide event drawing over one thousand attendees.
The festival was named for Matthew 5:16 "Let your light shine before others....so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." It showcases the work of UNW student filmmakers in the categories of comedy, drama, music video, documentary and animation. Student films are judged by Northwestern faculty, alumni and film professionals from around the country.
"This is a great opportunity for students to produce creative and engaging videos and receive feedback from professionals in the industry," said Ann Sorenson, MFA, associate professor of communication and festival director. "As the festival grows, so does the level of quality and professionalism in the films that the students are producing."
The top films in each category are shown at the festival. Each film is required to be less than eight minutes in length and will be judged by a panel of experts and professionals in the film, television and theatre industry.
- Best Documentary: Stained Glass by Zac Anderson, Alexis Johnson, Carsten Johnson, Eric Johnson, & Sophie Meath
- Best Drama: Bump in the Night by Zoe Cramer
- Best Comedy: Elf on the Shelf by Aaron DeVall, Taylor Finken, Christian Graham, Noah Gruhlke, Micah Haworth, Justin Soderholm, Nathan Soderholm, Lucas Sorenson, Scott Van Daalen, & Luke Yerbich
- Best Animation: Penguin Pal by Julia Bahls & Lauren Gray
- Audience Choice: Bump in the Night by Zoe Cramer
Plan to attend next year April 10, 2017!
Five16 Film Festival Coordinator