| || |
Boyd V. Seevers
Professor of Old Testament Studies
Boyd Seevers has been teaching Old Testament at University of Northwestern since 2000. Prior to Northwestern, he lived in Israel for eight years with his wife, Karen, and their four children. Since coming to Northwestern, he has led numerous trips back to Israel for study, teaching during sabbatical, archaeological excavation, and filming for distance education courses. He is an expert on ancient warfare and has participated in numerous archaeological excavations in Israel. He has published in the fields of biblical geography and history, ancient warfare, linguistics, archaeology, and the Christian life.
He has served on the Board of Directors for Jerusalem University College, Jerusalem, Israel since 2011. Seevers also enjoys competing in marathons and Ironman triathlons. In 2006 and 2012 he was Northwestern's Teacher of the Year and in 2005 he was placed on the “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers” list.
• Israel—ancient and modern
• History—Old Testament and intertestamental
• Hebrew—biblical and modern
• Books of the Bible—Daniel, Genesis
• Land of Israel
• Biblical customs
Ph.D., Trinity International University
Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary
Graduate study, Jerusalem University College
B.A., Wheaton College
- 128 Articles for Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, ed. Tremper Longman III. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013.
- Chapters “Joshua” and “Daniel” in What the Old Testament Authors Really Cared About, Jason S. DeRouchie, ed. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2013.
- Co-authored with Joanna Klein. “Left-Handed Sons of Right-Handers.” Biblical Archaeological Review 39:3 (May/June 2013): 26, 69-70.
- Co-authored with Joanna Klein. “Genetics and the Bible: The Curious Case of the Left-Handed Benjamites.” Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith. 64:3 (Sep. 2012): 190-91.
- “David” in Lexham Bible Dictionary, John D. Barry, ed. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2012.
- “Old Testament Fortifications,” Baker Illustrated Bible Handbook, eds. Danny Hays, Scott Duvall. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2011.
- “How Big was Israel’s Army?: Dealing with Large Numbers in the Bible.” Artifax. Summer 2011: 18–19.
- “Remembrance” in Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings, eds. Tremper Longman III and Peter Enns, 643-47. Downer’s Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- “Bethsaida and Other Fortified Cities in Northern Israel during Iron Age II.” Artifax. Autumn 2008: 20–27.
- “Select Biblical Customs in Light of the Cultural Practices of the Rwala Bedouin Tribe.” Near East Archaeological Society Bulletin. 52 (2007): 17–33.
- Six articles in New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis. Willem A. VanGemeren, gen. ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997.
- "Warfare in the Old Testament: Story and Illustration.” Presented with Josh Seevers, illustrator, at Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, May 2014.
- “Genetics and the Bible: The Curious Case of the Left-Handed Benjamites.” Presented with Joanna Klein, Ph.D. at Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, May 2013.
- “Excavations at Bethsaida, Israel 2008.” Presented with students at Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, May 2009.
- “Faith and Archaeology.” Student Apologetics Training Conference.” Maclaurin Institute, University of Minnesota, Feb. 2008.
- “Four-Chamber Gates in the Ancient Near East during the Middle Bronze and Late Bronze Ages.” Batchelder Biblical Archaeology Conference, Omaha, Nebr., Nov. 2007.
- “Excavations at Northwestern College 2006.” Presented with students at Northwestern Scholarship Symposium, May 2007.
- “Bethsaida and Other Fortified Cities in Northern Israel during Iron Age II.” Batchelder Biblical Archaeology Conference, Omaha, Nebr., Nov. 2006.
- “Select Biblical Customs in Light of the Cultural Practices of the Rwala Bedouin Tribe.” Near East Archaeological Society annual meeting, Valley Forge, Pa., Nov. 2005
- “Israeli Warfare from Joshua to David.” Near East Archaeological Society annual meeting, Atlanta, Ga., Nov. 2003.
- University of Northwestern Teacher of the Year 2005–06 and 2011–12.
- Course on Second Temple Judaism named distance education Undergraduate Course of the Year for 2006 by ACCESS group, sponsored by Christianity Today.
- Excellence in teaching award from Northwestern's Distance Education Department. 2006.
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 2005.
- Board of Directors for Jerusalem University College, Jerusalem, Israel since 2011
- Guest lecturer, Bethlehem College & Seminary, Minneapolis, MN (2011-12)
- Visiting Professor at Jerusalem University College, Jerusalem, Israel (Spring 2010)
- Co-Director in Board of Directors, Bethsaida Excavation Project (Israel) 2006
- Memberships: Evangelical Theological Society, Society of Biblical Literature, and Near Eastern Archaeological Society
Office Location: Nazareth Hall 3116