Local and Global Engagement
There are countless ways to connect with those outside of Northwestern while building fellowship with other students. We offer immersive experiences globally and locally, encouraging students to gain experiential knowledge, connect with people different from themselves, take risks, and learn by stepping outside their day-to-day routines.
Get equipped to impact the world
Through local partnerships, building awareness, engaging in social justice, and mission trips, both stateside and international, you can find your unique fit to serve while using your specific gifts and abilities. There are so many ways to easily connect with those outside of Northwestern while building fellowship with other students.
Global Engagement exists to cultivate in Northwestern students a passion for the global community, an expanded worldview, and an active pursuit of justice in line with Christ’s teaching and God’s transformative power in the world. Initiatives hosted by the Global Engagement team include:
- Global Awareness Days – individual days dedicated to a particular area of global focus such as clean water, human trafficking, social justice, and Earth Day.
- Global Awareness Week – a week set aside to learn from and meet representatives from organizations focused on the Great Commission and Great Commandments.
- Global Involvement Opportunities – Mission trips during winter, spring and summer breaks, as well as serving locally at city events. Our desire to be active participants in what God is doing around our world is strong, and Global Engagement is excited to be the bridge between Northwestern students and a variety of service opportunities.
Driven by student involvement, our five ministries under the Local Engagement umbrella serve both Northwestern and our local community in dozens of ways. If you are looking for ways to see God move, stepping into service along other passionate students is a great way to make that happen. From snowboarding to internationals, English Club to inner city youth development, there is a way for you to connect to Northwestern’s local community.
Local Engagement Ministries
- Way in the Wilderness: Building relationships with international students and families.
- Lift Up: Bringing Christ to the skiing and snowboarding culture.
- Streetlight: Building relationships with the financially disadvantaged in South Minneapolis and periodically engaging in street evangelism.
- Writing in the Sand: Building awareness within the community about human trafficking.
- Living Hope: Tutoring and mentoring inner-city youth.