Submit FAFSA Online (January–May)
University of Northwestern FAFSA Code: 002371
After January 1, you can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) is the federal application used to determine financial aid eligibility.
- Students must file a FAFSA each year.
- File as soon as possible after January 1, of the upcoming academic year.
- Some financial aid funds are limited with funding going to the earliest eligible applicants.
- Students can continue to receive financial aid each year as long as they continue to meet federal, state and University of Northwestern financial aid eligibility requirements.
- Separate applications are required for scholarships and loans.
Submitting the FAFSA
FAFSA on the Web – is easy with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. It provides students and parents the ability to auto-transfer their income tax information directly from the IRS to the FAFSA. You will need to file your IRS Income Tax Form 1040 before completing the FAFSA.
FAFSA Information Resources:
♦ IRS Data Retrieval Tool Guide - Quick Instructions for using the new IRS tool.
♦ FAFSA Tips - Great tips to prevent delays by avoiding common mistakes on the FAFSA.
♦ FAFSA on the Web Worksheets - Organize all the required information before entering it online.
♦ Completing the FAFSA - Detailed answers for filling out each item number on the FAFSA.
Check the status or review the results of your processed FAFSA application by logging in to fafsa.ed.gov.
To be considered for federal financial aid, you must:
- be a US citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States with a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment.
- be making Satisfactory Academic Progress as determined by the federal and UNW policies.
- have financial need (except for Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans and Private Loans)
- not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan .
- be a Minnesota resident for state financial aid programs.
- be registered with Selective Service** If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25;
Other requirements may apply. Contact the UNW Finanacial Aid Office for more information.
**Selective Service Information
If you are a male who is at least 18 years old and born after December 31, 1959, you MUST be registered with Selective Service in order to receive Federal student aid. You may now register with Selective Services online.