Applying for Nursing as a Current or Returning UNW Student
Applications for the Department of Nursing at Northwestern opens in December each year. Applicants are chosen by April of the following year.
Space is limited; not all candidates are guaranteed acceptance. Candidates with more credits from Northwestern will be given higher consideration over those with fewer credits from this institution.
How do I enroll in the Baccalaureate Nursing Degree Program?
- Successfully complete (with a C or higher) all pre-requisite courses.
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (4.00 scale) based upon credits earned from UNW.
- Complete all of the below application forms.
- Provide evidence of CPR certification (American Heart Association's CPR for Health Care Providers or American Red Cross's CPR for Professional Rescuers). Online certification is not acceptable.
- Obtain satisfactory scores on both the TEAS (based on national average) & HESI (at least 77%) entrance exam. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about these exams.
- Complete satisfactory personal interview with Northwestern's Nursing Admission and Progression Committee. Interviews are scheduled by nursing staff and conducted March-April.
- Written acknowledgment of Department of Nursing Acceptance Letter.
The following forms are required for admission to Northwestern's Department of Nursing.
Application for Admission to the Northwestern Deparment of Nursing
Health Clearance form
Student Confidentiality Agreement
Agreement to Program Policies
Character Reference Form
All completed forms can be sent via email to email@example.com or sent by mail to Department of Nursing, attention Leane Gondek, 3003 Snelling Ave N, St Paul MN 55311 or delivered to the Department of Nursing, 2803 Lincoln Drive, St Paul MN 55113, 3rd Floor Office.
In order to be eligible to apply to Northwestern's Nursing Degree program, students who have previously taken post-high school classes at Northwestern must:
- Fill out the re-enrollment application.
- If re-enrollment is approved (pending checks with our registrar, student development, and student accounts offices), the enrollment coordinator will notify you of your acceptance.
- Upon re-enrollment, you will be assigned an advisor to determine what curriculum requirements are still needed to be eligible to apply to the nursing degree program.
- Upon completion of steps 1-3, students may submit an application to the Nursing Degree program.
- The Nursing Degree Program application lists the additional requirements that are needed to be considered for the Nursing Degree program.
Students currently enrolled at Northwestern must be sure to complete the below prerequisite courses.
Intro to Psychology or Lifespan Psychology
Principles of Chemistry I
December 1, 2013: Application opens
March 1, 2014: Application closes
March 19, 2014: Deadline for all forms
April 7, 2014: Admission & Progression Committee meeting (applicant review)
April 11, 2014: Letters of acceptance/rejection sent
May 13/14, 2014: Orientation for new students
May 15, 2014: Nursing student orientation
May 19, 2014: Classes begin
Frequently asked questions
- How do I know if I've met the prerequisites? Contact the Registrar's office at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your transfer credits.
- What are my chances of getting into the program? This depends on the number of applicants and varies from year to year.