Definitions You Need to Know
Faculty Supervisor: a faculty member designated to be your internship instructor of record. This faculty member is responsible for approving the internship, signing the registration form, developing a "Learning Agreement" with you, making contact with the internship site, assessing any academic assignments, and assigning the grade. The names of the faculty supervisor can be found in Requirements by Major.
On-Site Supervisor: your direct supervisor during your internship; the person able to provide an assessment of your performance. This person should be an experienced professional; someone that can give you useful feedback.
Contact Linda Ashworth (email@example.com or 651-631-5265) to set up a phone or in person appointment to discuss registering for a Graduate Studies internship.
Pick up a Registration Form in the Registrar's Office (N2134) or in the Center for Calling & Career (N4106).
See Graduate Studies Major Requirements.
Find a faculty supervisor to oversee your internship. A list of potential faculty supervisors can be found under your specific major requirements. Your faculty supervisor will need to sign your Registration Form. Return the completed Registration Form to the Center for Calling & Career (N4106).
Fill out an online liability release agreement which can be found on the Academics tab on theRock under the Electronic Signatures Channel.
You will need the following to register:
- A written description of the internship. Include duties, hours, accurate site and supervisor contact info and start/stop dates.
- Accurate contact info from internship site. This includes an email and phone number for human resource representative and at least one on-site supervisor.
- Accurate start/stop dates, number of total hours, number of hours per week and number of credits you desire.
- Understanding of liability related issues: You should be aware of the risks and potential liability issues associated with this internship. Will you be required to have background check or a drug test? What risks or safety issues will you face? Do you need to sign confidentiality agreements or other legal documents?
- Approval from your your faculty supervisor before you begin the internship. Bring all of the above information when you meet with your faculty supervisor.