| || |
Ardel B. Caneday
Professor of New Testament Studies & Biblical Theology
Dr. Caneday has served churches in various pastoral roles, including senior pastor. During one pastorate he also taught full-time at Oak Hills Christian College (1984-85). While completing the Ph.D. at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, he was a Teaching Fellow at the divinity school and later taught at Trinity College (1989-91). Upon completion of the Ph.D. he served as Visiting Professor of New Testament at Grace Theological Seminary (1991-92), and then joined the faculty of University of Northwestern in 1992. He has authored numerous journal articles, many essays in books, a book, and is working on another book. In 2007 he enjoyed a productive portion of a sabbatical as Reader in New Testament Studies at Tyndale House, Cambridge, England. Twice he was been summoned to the White House for briefings by President George W. Bush with evangelical leaders and educators. He enjoys his grandchildren. He is also an accomplished furniture maker.
- Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament
- Paul and the Law
- Gospels of Mark & John
- Relationship between Biblical Theology & Systematic Theology
- Christianity and Culture
Ph.D., Theological Studies New Testament Exegesis and Theology, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois.
Th.M., Systematic Theology with a New Testament Concentration, Grace Theological Seminary, Winona Lake, Indiana.
M.Div., Pastoral Studies Biblical Exegesis Concentration, Grace Theological Seminary, Winona Lake, Indiana.
B.A., History, Bryan College, Dayton, Tennessee.
- Four Views on the Historical Adam. ed. Matthew Barrett & Ardel B. Caneday (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2013).
- “How Can I Live out the Biblical Worldview in a Culture that Does Not Share that Worldview?” in Christian Contours: How a Biblical Worldview Shapes the Mind and Heart, ed. Douglas S. Huffman (Grand Rapids: Kregel, February 2012).
- "What Does It Mean to Confess Our Sins to One Another?" four-part series based on James 5:16, Credo blog, October 2011 (this publication lead to an interview by Janet Mefferd on KKMS in November 2011)
- “Judgment, Behavior and Justification according to Paul’s Gospel in Romans 2,” Journal for the Study of Paul and His Letters 1.2 (2011), forthcoming.
- “‘Everything Is Vapor’: Grasping for Meaning Under the Sun,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 15.2 (2011): forthcoming.
- Must Christians Always Forgive? A Biblical Primer and Grammar on Forgiveness of Sins. Mount Hermon, CA: Center for Cultural Leadership, 2011.
- “Covenant Lineage Allegorically Prefigured: ‘Which Things Are Written Allegorically’ Galatians 4:21-31,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14:3 (2010): forthcoming.
- “Living in the Last Days,” in “The SBJT Forum,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14:1 (2010): 60-73.
- “The Parable of the Generous Vineyard Owner (Matthew 20:1-16),” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology, 13:3 (Fall 209): 34-50.
- “The Faithfulness of Jesus Christ as a Theme in Paul’s Theology in Galatians,” The Faith of Jesus Christ: Exegetical, Biblical and Theological Studies, ed. Michael F. Bird & Preston M. Sprinkle (Exeter, UK: Paternoster; Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson, 2009), 221-246. Fifth Printing—2009.
- The Race Set Before Us: A Biblical Theology of Perseverance and Assurance (Downers Grove, Illinois: Inter-Varsity, 2001).
View a complete list of Dr. Caneday's publications.
- Read "Reigning in Life over Sin: The Dawn of New Creation in One New Man" in Fall 2012; this is scheduled to be published in a collection of essays on studies in Paul's letters.
- Read "Glory in Suffering: The Metaphor of Divine Suffering" for the study session, "Models of God: Analogy and Metaphor in Biblical Language about God." (Fall 2012)
- Read at Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, San Francisco, CA, November 2011--"The Advent of God's Son as Judgment in John's Gospel: Justification and Condemnation Already”
- Read at Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Atlanta, Georgia, November 17-19, 2010—“Justification, Judgment and Behavior: Judgment Day’s Coming Verdict Now Announced in the Gospel,” for the Hermeneutics Study Section, “Hermeneutics: Other Perspectives on the New Perspectives on Paul and the Law.”
- Read at Annual Faculty Scholarship Symposium, University of Northwestern, Saint Paul, Minnesota: May 5, 2009—“A Biblical Primer and Grammar of Forgiveness of Sin.”
- Read at the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Providence, Rhode Island, November 19-21, 2008—“The Faithfulness of Jesus Christ as a Theme in Paul’s Theology in Galatians.”
- Read at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, San Diego, California, November 24-27, 2007—“The Faithfulness of Jesus as a Theme of Pauline Theology.”
- Read at Annual Meeting of the Upper Midwest Region of the Society of Biblical Literature, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN, March 31-April 1, 2006—“The Muzzled Ox and the Abused Apostle: Deut 25:4 in 1 Cor 9:9.”
- Read at Annual Meeting of the Midwest Region of the Evangelical Theological Society, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, MI, March 24-25, 2006—“Let’s Get Biblical: Moving from Scripture to Theology Concerning ‘Racial Reconciliation.’”
View a complete list of Dr. Caneday's presentations.
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Center of the American Experiment
- National Association of Scholars
- Minnesota Association of Scholars
- Intercollegiate Studies Institute
- Theta Alpha Kappa
Advisory Roles at University of Northwestern
- Advisor & Coordinator of Alpha Zeta Omicron, the local chapter of Theta Alpha Kappa, National Honor Society for Religious Studies & Theological Studies.
- Campus Representative and Faculty Associate member of Intercollegiate Studies Institute.
Service to Other Organizations
- Associate Editor, ACT3 Journal, Reformation & Revival Ministries, Carol Stream, Illinois
- Frequent Speaker for many organizations, churches, institutes
- Periodically interviewed on radio as “expert” on various subjects
- 2007 Excellence in Scholarship, awarded by faculty colleagues, University of Northwestern
- 2005 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- 2000 Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
Office Location: Nazareth Hall 3113